I just love this stuff, so much so that I would probably rate it as one of my most successful recipes so far! Well, its so good it even made it to the blog banner! Aside from tasting super indulgent whilst being super healthy, it is so simple to make and can be used everywhere...
- Filling for a cake spread with a spatula
- Topping for a cupcake piped with a nozzle (or simply spooned on if you can’t wait!)
- Layered up in a tall glass with fruit and vegan yoghurt/cream for a ‘posh’ dessert
- Eaten as a chocolate mouse-y pudding in its own right
…Basically anywhere you need a rich, thick, creamy, chocolatey accompaniment… and where wouldn’t you want that??
Shhhh- I keep a tub of it in in the fridge for quick access when I’m in need of a little fix!
Recipe: Healthy chocolate frosting
- 350g (I carton) firm silken tofu (I use Mori nu)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbs melted coconut oil (use 2 tbs for a firmer frosting)
- 2tbs lemon juice (not essential)
- 2 tbs agave nectar
- 1/6 tsp pure tsp stevia powder (or omit and add extra agave or powdered sugar)
- 1/2 tsp alcohol free vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste/powder
(Note: This makes enough to fairly generously frost 12 cupcakes)
So simple!! Put all ingredients into food processor and blend up very thoroughly. Spoon into a bowl and store in the fridge ready for use.
Some yummy frosting variations to try….
- Add 1tsp grated orange rind and 1 tsp orange essence to the mixture and reduce vanilla essence to 1tsp. (if want to make frosting slightly runnier like a mouse then add 1-2 tbs orange juice).This one is my favourite flavour combo.
- Add 1tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1tbs of boiling water. Reduce vanilla to 1tsp. Add to the mixture.
- Add 1tsp peppermint essence and 1 tsp of ground mint leaves to the mixture and omit the vanilla.
Let me know of any more delicious variations you have tried!
P.S. You will notice above that I have included ‘Stevia’ in the ingredients list. You can find more info here on Stevia. You can also understand more about how and why I use Stevia in my recipes here.