I never really worry much about getting protein on a vegan diet as my focus on real whole foods of maximum variety typically does that by default, but it is nice to know that it's easy to put together a high-protein meal when needed- particularly something like this pizza when the base itself gives a great protein boost and you can top it up with anything you like knowing that I've got a well balanced meal in the bag!
In addition it's always nice to have an answer to the question 'where do you get your protein?' and also offer a simple option for those who are looking for high-protein veggie-based meals.
oh and did I say... Pizza?
Yay, pizza :-)
The pizza base contains just three ingredients- quinoa, almonds and flax (plus any herbs if you wish to add them). Each ingredient is in itself a great source of protein, amongst other nutrients, Plus it couldn't be easier to make in minutes. Such a winner!
You can top the base with anything you like, I'm not a fan of fake vegan cheeses so I used home-made hummus mixed with tomato purée and then just any veggies I had to hand. This base also freezes beautifully as I have now done on multiple occasions since I first created the recipe. It makes for an amazingly speedy last minute dinner!
Recipe: High protein pizza base
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 2 tbs flax
- 1-2 tsp mixed herbs (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 2 tbs hummus
- 1 cup worth finely chopped veggies of choice- tomato, onion, bell pepper, courgette and sweeetcorn work well.
Process all ingredients together until you have a well blended slightly sticky dough. It should still be easy enough to handle and roll. I found it didn’t stick to my rolling pin at all but if this is a problem for you that’s the running pin with a little dry ‘flour’ of some kind- such as fine almond flour or protein powder. Attentively press out into pizza bases with your hands.
Once you have rolled the dough to approximately 3-4mm thick, bake at 180C for 10-15 minutes until sealed then flip over and bake for a further 10 minutes until just beginning to turn golden.
You can remove from the oven and allowed to cool and then freeze at this point or simply add all your pizza toppings and bake for 10 minutes until cooked and golden.
Sign up here for my content delivered to your email... you'll get blog round ups plus other goodies (such as special offers, challenges and collaborations) right there in your inbox!
Day to day you can always find me hanging out in these places:
P.S. When you’re ready... here are three ways I can help you re-connect to your greatest self :
1) Check out my blog archives for recipe ideas and mindset journalling to find what most inspires and resonates with you on your journey right now.
2) Grab a copy of 'Thresholds' - the no. 1 best selling book in which I was featured as a guest author. It shares 75 inspiring Stories of 'How Changing Your Perspective Can Change Your Life'
3) Connect with me privately to explore how you can re-connect to your greatest self. Just reply to this message with something like; 'I'd love to have a conversation' in the subject and some details about where you are at and what you'd like to work on. I'll be in touch to see if we are a fit and to arrange a complimentary call to explore more.