This wasn't a planned post... so I apologise in advance that all the photos are shot on my iphone, not my pro dSLR I usually use for recipe posts!
I enjoyed this breakfast two days running this week with variations on each, so I spontaneously decided to share with you too.
Pear + Courgette + Ginger is always a winner for me!
How about you- are you a fan of adding veggies to your porridge?
My favourites are courgette, carrot or sweet potato very finely grated and cooked in with the oats. There are loads (56 in total) porridge recipes and spin-offs in this recipe book I created in case you are interested!
On top of the pic below are my Wholeplus Toppers (relaunching with new eco packaging soon!), but you could use any topings you like... nuts, seeds, dried fruits, granola, a drizzle of nut butter... or nothing at all :-)
These photos also give a shout out to the book 'Thresholds' that I was featured in and have just had the hard copy delivered. Holding it in my hands was such a wondrous feeling. I contributed my story which tells of the most significant time of my life to date, I would love you to read it (it's in Kindle for only £1.49)... you can find more info here!
Recipe: Pear Porridge- with 'super boost' options
- 1/2 cup porridge oats (GF if desired)
- 1/2 cup finely grated courgette
- up to 1/2 cup boost options listed below* or more oats
- 1 pear- half cut into tiny chunks and half sliced thinly (for top)
- Large handful of small dried fruit pieces- such as chopped dates, raisins, cranberries, mulberries or my Wholeplus Toppers (see note above).
- 1 tbs chia seeds or flax seed
- 1 scant tsp grated ginger and/or ground turmeric (if using turmeric add a pinch of black pepper too to maximise nutrient absorption)
- approx 1.5 cups non-dairy milk of choice - more or less for desired thickness as it cooks.
- 1 tsp maca powder (optional)
- Handful of sunflower or pumpkin seeds (optional)
*up to 1/2 cup of a mix of the following: vegan protein blend, almond flour, cooked quinoa, quinoa flakes, teff flour, shelled hemp seeds (less of the hemp)
Finely grate the courgette and add along with all ingredients (other than toppings) to a medium pan on the stove top. Bring to a simmer and cook for approx 5 minutes, adding extra liquid as required for desired consistency.
Serve, decorate, eat!
In the first two photos I added cooked quinoa to the oats and handful of pumpkin seeds, then topped with Wholeplus Toppers (Gingerbread, Super Seedy or Lemon Pie would be fab!)
In the second two photos I added turmeric and black pepper then added 1/4 cup almond flour and 1/4 cup teff flour with a dusting of cinnamon on top.