Quick and easy marinara sauce
Marinara sauce (as previously seen on my vegan meatball sub) is ahugely versatile and simple dish and can be jazzed up with various other ingredients to give it a bit of a twist- let you imagination run free….
Make a big batch to freeze in portioned size containers, then at a moment’s notice (well, ok 10 minutes tops!) you have a simple tasty meal- heat and mix through spaghetti topped with sweet corn, beans or whatever you happen to have to hand. You really can’t go wrong!
Recipe: Marinara sauce
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 fresh tomatoes- coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot- grated
- 1 small onion- finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Dried herbs- 1tsp parsley, 2 tsp Italian herb mix (or oregano and basil) or use fresh if you have them!
- ½ tsp garlic granules or puree (or 2 minced cloves)
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce or chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté the carrot and onion in the olive oil for 5 minutes. Add all other ingredients (except tomatoes) and blend wither in a blender/food processor or with a hand blender until almost smooth, add chopped fresh tomatoes (or add along with the other ingredients if you prefer a smooth sauce). Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Note: To make this a super quick and efficient recipe, I have used dried herbs and spices as these are always available in my cupboard whereas I don’t always have fresh to hand- feel free to use fresh if you prefer!