Wow... What. A. Year!!
At the beginning of this year I had big dreams and a huge amount of excited anticipation. But like so many dreams, it is only action that powers them forward into reality. It is the action part that is oh so scary and overwhelming!
The difference with this last year is that for the first time ever I played full out and embraced the overwhelm. Oh man, there was a lot of it. I'm steel reeling if i'm honest and the entire year has been such a roller coaster of emotions. So many times I said to myself "why couldn't I just be content with a regular job" but in the moments of the highs and when I look back and see just how far I've come, I really have no regrets.
A few big highlights from the year:
- Wholeplus had it's first full year in business
- A became a contributor to a number of great magazines I truly respect
- I graduated from the Institute if Integrative Nutrition as a health coach
- I took on my very first coaching clients who continue to amaze me every day
- I launched the '21 Day Lemon Water Challenge' with 400 participants
I would also like to say at this point, that so much of this may never have come to fruition in the way it has without the never-ending support of my family (I know I annoy the hell out of them at times- but I thank you!) but also another two key people in my life, who exist largely behind the scenes but are amazing in enabling me to be the person I am today...
My business coach, Erica has worked with me throughout this entire year. She has been there right from the very start (before I even realised I needed a coach) and grounds me yet pushes me beyond my comfort zone, all the while pushing her own personal boundaries. They say every good coach needs their own coach, and I whole heartedly agree with this statement!
My personal trainer, Toby. Fitness is a huge part of my life. It has come to be even more so this last year as it is my 'down time' and an escape from my own head at times! Toby deserves extra kudos for putting up with numerous floopy moments and tears of frustration when I rock up to a session after a stressful morning. He had been a great support during both my highs and lows and also shares my plant based food philosophy... we have shared so many hours of interesting debates over the least 12 months and so here's hoping for 12 more!
A few things this year has taught me:
- There are some truly amazing genuine people out there! In exploring who I really am and taking my business to the next level, I have come into contact with some genuine and amazing people and companies. Above and beyond Erica and Toby, it has affirmed my belief that so people are there to help each other and not simply out for themselves. One of my biggest concerns going into 'business' is that I can be very naive, too nice and very honest. Right back at the beginning a few people told me that I wasn't cut out for business and that I would hate it, but I have proved them wrong. Yes, I might pour too much emotion what I do and yes I might get hurt somewhere along the line. But I honesty woudn't have it any other way!
- I need to be more organised! I am a creative on all levels. I think in colour, texture and shapes, I enjoy the random places my mind wanders, I never sit still, I love creating cakes with perculiar ingredients profiles, I like designing, I like asking questions and exploring answers BUT I do not like spreadsheets, business plans, tax returns, systems or anything remotely regimented. The more creative I have become, the more my brain seems to move away from that other side of things. I need to get better (simple) systems in place for 2015... and address my areas of weakness!
- I need to put myself first! In throwing my self into business I focussed on working so hard my personal health has suffered. As much as I know (and preach) that self care and relaxation time is so intrinsically important in everyday life, I have struggled to implement this myself. It was as if I hadn't 'earned the right' to relax even though I know that's ridiculous. I have taken some time out this Christmas and will be on a mission in 2015 to balance both areas of my life. No doubt this will be the focus of my blog from time to time.
"Life is a constant journey of discovery. One I never want to stop"
Do you remember this post from August, when I had just finished my final module with IIN? I posted a quote which I still resonate so much with. Here is is again.
May 2015 be an incredible year for you all.
Why not sign up for my newsletter in my sidebar where I feature roundups and special offers plus my FREE ebook. If you are new round here check out my 'About' and 'Getting Started' tabs up top. To buy nibbles you can also find me over at Wholeplus.
Day to day you can always find me hanging out in these places: